Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Religious interference in Science/Flag Burning

Need for Vaccine:

I think most Americans would agree that seat belts are a good thing because they reduce deaths/injuries from car accidents. Most Americans would agree that bike helmets are a good thing because they also do the same thing. Most would agree that basically any safety device that lowers the number of dead and injured Americans is a good thing.
What then with the opposition by some, specifically on the Christian right, to the great news that a vaccine for cervical cancer is being developed? Gene Rudd, of the Christian Medical and Dental Associations and an opponent to this vaccine, stated, "It sends the wrong message. Our concern is that this vaccine will be marketed to a segment of the population that should be getting a message about abstinence."
Now, abstinence is a good thing just as bike safety and driving an automobile responsibly. But, one doesn't oppose seat belts, helmets and airbags under the guise that it would send a wrong message to youth on responsible driving and bike safety. Abstinence is an important message to give because with it there is no risk of getting a sexually transmitted disease or becoming pregnant just as without riding in a car or being on the streets there is no risk in getting in an automobile accident. But, abstinence is a means to an end, the lowering of pregnancy and STD rates. When abstinence becomes the ultimate objective even over ending cervical cancer. then priorities are misplaced.
Under this logic, the more types of STDs the better to scare the kids not to have sex, be damned if a few children might die in the process. Because frankly, some will die in the process from cervical cancer or other STDs just as some teens will die from unsafe automobile driving. Some might not like this fact, but in the course of human history there was not an hour that went by without scores of teens in the world, even in the most religious of nations/cultures, having sex.
How many Americans, after watching their loved ones die from disease, would state they were glad there was no vaccine available to stop it?

Flag Burning

Mr. Dan Davis states in response to a letter of mine on opposition to a Constitutional Amendment which would outlaw flag desecration, "For every person that shares your opinion, I believe there are thousands of real Americans that don't."
According to Gallup, in a poll, 63 percent of Americans favor a flag burning Amendment which would outlaw the act. While, this of course is a majority it does not equal thousands of Americans who agree with Mr. Davis vs one who agrees with me that we shouldn't outlaw flag desecration. Indeed, it is less than a 2:1 ratio in support of Mr. Davis by the public.
Is Mr. Davis implying that the one-third plus of Americans who agree with me, aren't "real" Americans? That, one-third of America is "what is wrong with America?" Are the 131 Congressional members who courageously supported free speech in the Constitution, not "real Americans?" What about those members of the military (who are in the minority position in the military on this issue of course) who happen to agree with me, are they not, "real Americans? Do they need a dose of patriotism, too?
Mr. Davis chose to engage in a personal attack on my patriotism, and the millions of Americans who agree with me. I am weary of my patriotism and those who agree with me on certain issues, attacked. I know the flag is a symbol Mr. Davis; I thought I was quite clear on that in my previous letter. I just thought that the substance of the Constitution is more important than its symbols.
Now, you might disagree, fine, but to question my patriotism and to imply that I wasn't a "real American" is the lowest level of political rhetoric. Unfortunately too many on the right choose to engage in this very tactic. I hope for that to one day end. I do not ever question the patriotism of those I disagree with. I understand that to be an American means a free exchange of ideas. I do not advocate that people burn flags anymore than I advocate that people join the KKK, but I support their right to do so.

No comments: