Monday, February 2, 2009

Couple denied same sex marriage license in CA

While online I saw a picture that made me stare and made me think that a picture is really worth a thousand words. It showed two women being denied a marriage license in California right after the election. One can’t see their faces, just their backs as they walk down the long hallway after being turned away. I know some might be happy at that sight (or at least relieved) under the idea that “marriage was being protected” from those two women. I don’t remember their names or if they were printed with the article. But those women, who loved each other and cared for each other (I am sure) were turned away. Now, was it the will of the people of California. Sure, a slight majority but I wonder if some of those 52% who voted to take marriage away from that couple, would have changed their minds after looking at that picture. I never saw the couple’s faces but I could imagine the utter disappointment of not only those two women but their friends and families who wished for the couple not only to enjoy the benefits of marriage but the symbolic meaning of two people who love each other being able to wed. I imagine that one of the couple’s mothers might have given their daughter a token from her own wedding. The problem with a ban on same sex marriage is that it is one thing in the abstract when one doesn’t have to deal with the pain, the hurt, the disappointment of someone one doesn’t know or talk to and another when a person actually has a close gay family member or friend or wishes to marry someone under the law but are denied to do so. I realize that those who voted for the ban believed they were doing the right thing for America. That they weren’t voting for a ban because they hate gays, but because they sincerely believed they were protecting marriage. But the problem is, when you vote to restrict someone from marrying the person that they love (just as you could marry the person you loved) are you not saying that their love should be valued less and that the government of all people should put this into law? Who is the government to say one the love of two people is less worthy? When has the government become Cupid? Are civil unions just as good? To a certain extent they have some of the same benefits but in America symbolism is also important, as it should be
No, I believe times will change, as they often do. Are there setbacks? Yes, on election day there were when it came to the rights of same sex couples to marry but I believe in America. I believe that America, in the end, will do what is right. I believe that in the end America will say to its’ gay cousins and aunts and uncles and brothers and children that you are one of us. That you work and pay taxes and serve our country and yes you deserve the same rights as everyone else. I believe that day is coming. I wish it would come sooner but it will come.

No comments: